Thursday, February 16, 2012

White wood floors?!

     So I have been contemplating how to redo our floors. Our new-to-us home was built in 99' and the carpet in the dining and living room (and bedrooms, really) are looking a little rough around the edges (literally) and really need to be replaced. I've never been a huge carpet fan in general due to my asthma/allergies-- plus I just like the way hard wood or tile looks better.
     Here's my dilemma, there is ivory tile throughout our entry, kitchen, and hallways- so whatever flooring I pick really needs to flow with the color of the tile or it will "chop" up our open concept layout. If you're following. Maybe a picture will help illustrate:



Above you can see the dining room carpeting and the tile in the entry as well as hallway. I plan on painting this dining room navy blue paired with white wainscoting. Our dining room set is a very dark wood and looking for the perfect sparkly yet "not your grandmas" chandelier to hang in here. I think a white wood floor would help the navy to not get too dark and shrink the room.

Think something like:
I love it!


This picture gives a good view into the living room. I plan on painting this room a light gray/silver color. I love all the light from the large windows and I think light floors will help keep the room light and airy. Also on the agenda, figuring out what I want to do with the banister... paint white? Stain? TBD...

Furniture wise (it's completely empty now!) I want a pop of color, think sofa that looks like:
Paired with a fun print on an oversized chair, & some type of armoire for our TV.


     Does that help? Anyway, I just can't see a darker wood looking fantastic transitioning from the ivory tile since our rooms are so open and you will be able to see the transition from several rooms. So I had been looking for an alternative to my preferred very dark wood and have come to the opposite extreme and fallen in love with... white wood. After looking through some pictures, I think I'm in love.
     I think I'm also a bit masochistic when it comes to the cleaning. Our dark wood floors in our condo were such a pain in the butt to keep clean and I'm sure white wood won't be easy either, but I have a hard time imagining they could be much worse than the very dark we had, which showed every speck of everything. 

Anyway, here's the fun part. Some of my inspiration! 

LOVE the fun print on the area rug in this one. I will be looking for something similar for our living room... I already have a rug for the dining room area. 




This one above is way too sterile for me, though it's definitely airy!

Love, love, love this. The rich looking curtains puddling on the floors makes me re-think my plan for sheer window coverings...

A little mod for my taste, but I love the fun use of color here!


Ending on this picture- though this floor doesn't appear to be in the greatest shape, it actually shows color on the wall! Most of the pics above you'll note show white walls. While I can appreciate the monochromatic theme and clean crisp and airy look of the white walls/white floor; it's a bit sterile for my taste. I need a color on the wall. Though I will likely do a long sheer white panel tied to the side in the living room area.

I just love how colors/furniture really POP against the white floor. It makes them so much richer.
     White floors.... you dig em'? Next question... painted white... or white pre-fab. Oh decisions, decisions!!! ;) Tell me your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. I am kind of liking the white floor idea. They make think if vacation and what a better thing to think of when you are in your house! Can't wait to see what you guys do with the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we spend a good amount of time at a friend's place here - and she has white wood floors throughout her home. it's absolutely beautiful! we've decided that some day we, too, will have white wood floors. and yes - they are very difficult to keep clean. very. but they look fantastic!! good luck and enjoy all the decorating. :)

    ReplyDelete